Monday, October 18, 2010

Apreciation

Stuart Little was filled with adventure on every page. Page after page there was a new adventure that pulls you in, so your right there in the story. When my mom read this book to me for this time, I would jump up and down or bite my nails, depending on the mood E.B White set in the book.
Stuart Little is a brother and a son to the Little’s. He is treated like a normal human being to his family. except those minor times when Stuart is exceptionally small and can go places humans can’t. Stuart lives a normal life until he meets a bird named Margalo. Margalo is a bird that fell into the Littles home. Stuart treats Margalo like a sister. He gives her a place to sleep and cares for her, and gives her everything she needs. A few days past and they had already made an amazing friendship and Margalo leaves because she gets a letter that says "Beware of the cat." Margalo gets very frightened and leaves. Once Margalo left, Stuart started to get worried, Stuart sets out on an adventure to find her.
When Stuart leaves the Little’s house it’s not the first time he is going out on an adventure, but it is the first time he is leaving without permission and not returning for a long time or ever. Stuart even says “Good-by beautiful home,” he whispers “I wonder if I will ever see you again.”” In my mind at this part I could tell that Stuart eyes were probably watery and his head was down. I mean he is a small mouse and he loves his family very much, so him leaving and not knowing if he will see them again is a big deal. White makes you feel like your right there when Stuart is saying goodbye to his home and you almost feel that he is saying goodbye to you as if you were the home.
 At this part I was really excited because to me this is when the book really began. There were other episodes before this but this one really stood out to me. This is when the adventure finally begins.
There are three main adventures in this book that change Stuart as a character.
The first one is when he is actually leaving his home. This is not only an upscale for Stuart it was also one for me, as the reader. I couldn't believe what was going on. I was shocked even though I knew it was coming. Stuart leaving his home maybe forever is a big step for a little mouse in a big world. I won't even go in the world by myself yet so in this case I think that me and Stuart are a lot different then I thought we were. I look up to Stuart in this part though, because if it were me and I had lost a friend that was very close I don't think I would be able to just leave like he did, it shows that he really cares for Margalo and I wish I could just leave somewhere if my friend were in danger, but I could never.
The second adventure that I LOVE is when Stuart finds Harriet. To me this part is my favorite part. You get your mind off Margalo for a bit and you meet a new character that reminds you so much of a Barbie. Her description was “Harriet is young and she is quite pretty. She is considered one of the best dressed girls in this town, too. All her clothes are tailored specially for her." She is also the height of a Barbie and I think it was cute to have a character look or feel like a Barbie in the text. She's such a magical character to put in a book like this, because so many children who are reading are probably into Barbies. I really like the adventure here because Stuart like freaks out because he really likes her and everything goes wrong. In the end she tries to help him, she tries to help the disatster because she doesn’t really mind it. Stuart being the mouse he is freaks out because it isn't perfect and Harriet ends up leaving Stuart, and Stuart then realizes it was his fault for her leaving when they didn't even need what he planed. This isn't really an adventure in the book but it is a time Stuart goes through realization of something, and what makes this scene so magical is Harriet because of her features.
The last adventure suprinsingly is the last page and a cliff hanger just like E.B Whites other book Charlottes Web. I feel like the whole book leads up to the last page. The whole book was foreshadowing the last page in some way. It starts a whole new adventure, because he hadn’t found Margalo yet so he was setting out again after he had just had his date with Harriet. “But the sky was bright and he somehow felt he was headed in the right direction.” That was the last sentence. The book had just began but yet just ended.
So don't let me tell you every juicy detail of every adventure in the book, just pick the book up and let the writing stir you into the mind of the mouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment