Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Entry #8 "Mother to son"

When I first read "Mother to son" by Langston Hughes I didn't really understand it. I thought it was about a mom just talking to her son about getting through one thing in life but as I read it more than once, it was about life in general.
The mom in this case is telling her son that her life was hard but everyone has to get through it sometime. "Life ain't for me no crystal stair" she tells her son. "So boy don't turn back," she says later. She is telling him that life is hard but everything has to get through it.
This poem really stood out to me and it really spoke out to me. The mom was telling her son that life isn't easy and it isn't just bridge that you can walk over, theres splinters and tacks. I think that this poem is really different form his other ones that i have read by Langston Hughes and it really changes the way i think of life. It told me that everyone has days or even lives that bad things happen in them and you just have to keep going and not look back. Don't ever sit down and give up, stand up and keep going. Life doesn't guide you, you guide your own life.

No comments:

Post a Comment